Use these tips and tricks to get the most out of your Huddle experience!
Whether you’re a brand new Huddle user or an avid poster, these tips will help you get what you need from Huddle. We add new tips and tricks often, so check back for the latest!
Have a Huddle tip or trick to suggest? Email email@example.com.
This guide can help you:
TIP #1: Search for Relevant Discussions
Looking for a certain discussion topic? Use the search feature!
- Type the name or a keyword of the discussion you’re looking for in the search box on the upper right-hand side of your screen.
- Your results will show relevant discussions, library entries and more.
- You can filter search results on the left-hand side.
TIP #2: Find colleagues and cohorts
Looking to connect with a colleague or an old classmate? Search the Member Directory.
- Click on “Network” in the navigation bar to find your Member Directory.
- You can search by name, company, city, state and more.
- Once you’ve found someone, you can privately message him/her or add him/her as a contact to share information and build your network.
- You can browse PA programs in the “PA Program Search” to get a list of Huddle members who attended your program.
TIP #3: Editing
Editing your post is a quick way to clarify or correct something.
- Go to your recent post and click on the arrow next to “Reply to Discussion.”
- Then click on “Edit.”
- Your post will open and you can change or edit the body of your message. *NOTE: You cannot edit your subject line.*
TIP #4: Signature
Customize how you would like your name and information to appear when you submit your post.
- Visit your Profile.
- Click on “My Account” and choose the option “Discussion Signature.”
- By default, your name, title, company name and city/state are shown as they appear in your member account. If you would like to change your default signature, either type in the information you want to include in the signature (erasing any brackets) or click on the variables on the right-hand side to have the system enter the information for you. *NOTE: If using the variables, your information will automatically fill in when you post, but you will see the fields listed, such as [FirstName] rather than your own name here.*
TIP #5 ADDING CONTACTS
Add contacts so you can send messages to stay in touch, ask questions or build a referral network. When you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
- Navigate to the profile of the member you would like to connect with by searching the Network.
- Click on “Add as Contact.”
- You can also hover over any name in a discussion and add a contact.
- Check the “Connections” tab in your profile to keep track of your contacts and networks.
TIP #6 PRIVATE MESSAGE
Use private messaging to make a connection and share information directly with an individual. There are two ways to send a message.
- Go to the discussion post that you would like to comment on and click on the arrow next to “Reply to Discussion.”
- Click on “Reply to Sender” and write your message on the next screen.
- Using the Network, locate the individual you wish to message.
- Click on “Send Message.”
- Type your note and click “Send.”
- Your email will arrive in the individual’s inbox from Huddle.
TIP #7 WRITING GOOD POSTS
See the Best Way to Ask a Discussion Question
Make the most of your post with these tips.
- Ask open-ended questions. Broad questions that seek feedback or opinions will get the best responses.
- Include a signature tag with your name, affiliation and location. You can update your signature in your profile.
- Keep your subject lines brief. A concise subject line allows members to respond appropriately to your posting or search the archives by topic. You can link to additional information in the body of your post if needed.
- Describe your question in the body. In contrast to the subject line, use the body of the post to explain your question in detail, providing sufficient information for other members to understand how to respond.
- Personalize your question. Share context or background.
- Add resources or attachments. Include documents in your post.
TIP #8 SHARE A LIBRARY DOC
Share a Document
Do you have an interesting article or resource you would like share? Adding resources to Huddle’s library allows your peers to view and download documents, videos or other files.
- Click on the “Browse” option in the navigation bar.
- Select “Library Entries.” Click on “Create New Library Entry.”
- Follow the prompts to add the resource to the appropriate community (for example: Members Community or Student Community).
- Choose your document or resource and upload.
- Click “Finish” to complete the process of uploading your library resource.
TIP #9 Post or Reply via the daily digest
Did you know that you can reply to a thread or post a new thread directly from your Daily Digest email?
- Open the Daily Digest email in your inbox.
- To reply to a thread, select “Reply to Group” under that thread title. You can reply privately by selecting “Reply to Sender.”
- A new email box will open with the email address and subject line pre-populated. Type your response into the message area and click send.
- To post a new message, select the option “Post New Message” under the header area of the email.
- Again, a new email box will open with a pre-populated email address. Enter your subject in the subject line area, type your message, and click send.
TIP #10: Safe Sender List
Ensure You're Receiving the Daily Digest
Want to make sure you don’t miss any of the great conversations on Huddle? Add the community notification email address to your address book (safe sender list).
- First, check your settings in your Community Notifications.
- If your email provider is blocking AAPA email, you’ll need to whitelist AAPA. For example, if using an email provider like Gmail or Yahoo, you’ll want to add the appropriate email domain or the “from” email address 'firstname.lastname@example.org' to your “safe” list or address book. If using a business email, you’ll want to contact your employer’s IT department or vendor.
TIP #11 PRIVACY SETTINGS
Change Privacy Settings on Your Profile
Want to change the information that’s shown on your profile? You can control what information is shown about you to other members in just a few steps.
- Navigate to your profile page.
- Select the “My Account” tab and choose “Privacy Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Choose what items you would like to modify and click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page. If you want information to remain private, select “Only Me” or if you would prefer to have only members able to view it, select “Members Only.” “Public” viewing allows all information to be viewed by everyone.
TIP #12 tag a person in your post
Replying to a comment someone made in a thread? Tag the person using the @ button, our mentions feature, and that member will receive a brief email notification that they were mentioned in a conversation.
- Type the “@” symbol and the start of someone’s name in the copy of your post.
- Select the correct person from any matches that appear (sometimes you will see more than one if the name is a common one).
- Continue typing your post and click “Submit” when done. The person tagged will automatically receive an email so they can continue the conversation with you.
TIP #13 tag your post to a topic
If you’re posting on a frequent topic in Huddle, you can use the hashtag (#) feature to tag your post to a topic. The hashtag will convert to a hyperlink that will take readers to search results for other posts with the same tag. It’s a great way to link related content and help other members find past conversations on the same topic
- Type the “#” symbol and scroll through the list of topics or start typing to narrow your search.
- Select the topic (if available) to hashtag your content.
TIP #14 Bulletin Board Posting
The Bulletin Board is where you can post and browse various opportunities all in one place. Do you have a PA opportunity that you want to share with your peers? Post your fellowships, rotation searches, or volunteer opportunities here. Periodically, we’ll highlight some of these posts in the Members Community for more visibility, so get your posts up today!
- Navigate to the home page of Huddle’s Bulletin Board.
- Select the orange “Add” button next to “Latest Discussions.”
- Add your subject line, message, and any attachments, and hit “SEND” when finished.
TIP #15 Mark as Best Answer
Did you find a particular answer in one of your threads useful or insightful? If you posted a question, you can use the “Best Answer” feature to highlight a response.
- Find the answer you want to highlight.
- Choose the arrow in the orange “Reply to Discussion” button next to that post.
- Select the first option “Mark Best Answer.”